A top orthopedic doctor in Scottsdale, AZ has laser-focus care on bones, joints, and ligaments whether it be due to injury, aging, or disease. He or she will exhaust non-invasive techniques before surgical means and will have a high volume of success in your specific condition.
An orthopedic surgeon does fall under the sports medicine physician title along with primary care physicians. While both attend medical school and additional sports medicine training beyond that, only one can perform surgery. An orthopedic surgeon furthers their education and training and completes a 5-year residency to practice surgery.
In addition to a stellar track record, the top orthopedic doctor in Scottsdale, AZ will have the credentials and technical skills to back. It’s important to trust your orthopedic surgeon as your relationship may end up being lifelong depending on your procedure. You don’t necessarily have to be best friends, however, that trust does boil down to the success of the treatment.
Top 8 Orthopedic Docs Serving Scottsdale, AZ
Dr. John Cory
With a lifelong passion for all sports, it was only natural for Dr. Cory’s passion to come full circle. While attending Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, North Carolina, Dr. Cory was approached with the opportunity to be one of 2 assistant student strength coach for varsity athletics while he completed his undergraduate degree. This then parlayed into a job after graduation creating sports medicine frameworks for three NASCAR teams. Dr. Cory now acts as the consultant for the Texas Rangers, The Oakland A’s, The Minnesota Twins, The California Angels, The Chicago Cubs, The Tennessee Titans, The Chicago Bears, The PGA Tour, The LPGA Tour, USA gymnastics Arizona Youth Soccer Organization, US ODP Soccer Western Conference, US Rugby, and US Soccer.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Exercise Science and Physiology from Wake Forest University
- M.D. at The Bowman Gray School of Medicine
- General Surgery Internship at The Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
- Orthopedic residency at the University of South Carolina
- Fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Dr. Cory Was recently appointed to the Scientific and Medical Advisory Board of Kaliber Labs developing AI in Sports Medicine Interventions.
Dr. Gary Waslewski
Dr. Waslewski is the team physician for the Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Arizona Coyotes. Additionally, he is an orthopedic consultant for the Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants and travels with the USA Hockey team providing both orthopedic and medical care for the players, coaches, and staff. In the past, Dr. Waslewski provided medical care for the Franklin Templeton ATP/WTA Tennis Tournaments that were held annually at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Resort before the tournaments were relocated to Las Vegas.
- M.D. at Medical College of Virginia
- Internship and Residency at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center
- Fellowship training in Sports Surgery at American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, under James Andrews, M.D., and William G. Clancy, Jr., M.D.
A board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine surgery, Dr. Waslewski further specializes in surgery for the throwing elbow and shoulder. Additionally, he is the top orthopedic doctor in Scottsdale, AZ of complex hip arthroscopy. To read more about Dr. Waslewski, click here.
Dr. Douglas Freedberg
Dr. Freedberg has assisted with the Oakland A’s, Arizona Cardinals, and Arizona Coyotes, and numerous PGA, Nationwide, LPGA, and Champions golfers. He is involved with EXOS, an elite training center for athletes of all sports. Dr. Freedberg also covers Friday-night football game coverage and preseason physicals for Scottsdale high schools, as well as volunteering as a mentor/preceptor to medical students and students of physicians assistants, physical therapy, and nursing schools.
- M.D. and Internship completed at the University of Arizona
- Fellowship completed at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, training under the direction of Drs. James Andrews and William Clancy.
Dr. Freedberg is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and specializes in sports medicine and orthopedic surgery. To learn more about Dr. Freedberg, click here.
Dr. Charles Peterson
A working team physician for the Chicago Cubs, the US Ski Team, and Mountain View High School, Dr. Peterson additionally has served as the medical director for the Phoenix Marathon and is currently a board member for the Mesa United Way. He is also extensively involved in efforts in Haiti with plans to bring arthroscopy to Haiti.
- A degree in honors history at Brigham Young University
- M.D. at Northwestern University in Chicago
- Residency in Family Medicine at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale
- Fellowship in Sports Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin
Dr. Peterson is board-certified in sports medicine and family medicine. To learn more about Dr. Peterson’s continuing efforts in Haiti and professional interests, click here.
Dr. Donald Sheridan
Dr. Sheridan is a well known, highly accredited orthopedic hand surgeon in Scottsdale, AZ. He has been practicing surgery for over 29 years and also specializes in surgery of the wrist and elbow. He currently practices at John K Bradway MD/Ortho Arizona and is affiliated with HonorHealth Scottsdale Shea Medical Center.
- Undergraduate Arizona State University Tempe, Arizona
- Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry Medical University of Arizona Tuscon, Arizona
- Medical Doctor Residency Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota
- Orthopedic Fellowship Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota, Hand Fellowship
He is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon in sports medicine. To learn more about Dr. Donald Sheridan, click here.
Dr. Chris Yeung
Dr. Yeung is the team spine surgeon for the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Arizona Cardinals, the Chicago Cubs, the Kansas City Royals, the Colorado Rockies, the Los Angeles Dodgers, the LA Angels, the Cincinnati Reds, the Seattle Mariners, and Arizona State University. Additionally, he is recognized by his peers as one of the top Phoenix spine surgeons in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018. In 2013, Dr. Yeung won the Becker’s Spine Leadership Award, and in 2016, Becker’s Spine Review named him as one of Becker’s “Spine Surgeons to Know”.
- He completed his M.D. and graduated in the top 5% of his medical school class at the University of Southern California School of Medicine
- Orthopedic Residency at the University of California Irvine Medical Center
- Completed a spine surgery fellowship at the USC Center for Orthopedic Spine Surgery/Los Angeles Spine Surgery
Dr. Christopher Yeung is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgeon, with a special interest in minimally invasive spine surgery techniques. To learn more about Dr. Yeung’s impressive involvement in the advancement of the medical community, click here.
Dr. Brandon Goff
Brandon Gough is a highly impressive and respected orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery. Dr. Gough utilizes groundbreaking technology to implement micro-invasive and muscle-sparing surgical techniques.
- Lower Extremity Adult Reconstruction Fellowship at the Arizona Institute of Bone and Joint Disorders
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency at the University of Kansas School of Medicine at Wichita
- M.D. at Creighton University School of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science at Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama
Brandon Gough, MD, is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery. Possibly one of the main reasons he is so well-known is his incredible breakthrough with minimally invasive, patient-specific total knee replacement surgery. To read more about this and Dr. Brandon Goff, click here.
Dr. Jeffrey M. Vaughn
Jeffrey M. Vaughn, DO, a sports medicine trained pediatric orthopedic surgeon, is the director of the PCH Sports Medicine Program for Young Athletes at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ. Dr. Vaughn has worked for Phoenix Children’s Hospital since August of 2008.
- Board Certified, American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- M.D. Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine Kirksville, MO
- Residency at Memorial Hospital, York, PA; York Hospital, York, PA; Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, MD; Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD
- Fellowship (Pediatric and Adult Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy) Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Internship at Memorial Hospital, York, PA
Jeffrey Vaughn is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in pediatric and adolescent sports medicine and arthroscopy. To learn more about Dr. Vaughn’s comprehensive involvement in the Phoenix Children’s Hospital, click here.
Dr. Greg Hrasky
Dedicated to Children’s Orthopedics, Dr. Greg Hrasky established Cactus Pediatric Orthopedics to care for children’s growing musculoskeletal systems. He and his team offer services ranging from office consultations to complex surgical care, and Dr. Hrasky is committed to minimally invasive techniques of clubfoot treatments.
- B.A. in Biology St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- M.D. Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL
- Starship Children’s Hospital 1995-1996 Auckland, New Zealand
- Visiting Fellow, Clinical Instructor Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Shriners Hospital for Children 1994-1995 Portland, OR
- Instructor, Clinical Fellow Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Rush Presbyterian- St. Luke’s Medical Center 1989-1994 Chicago, IL
- Resident Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Shriners Hospital for Children 1992 Chicago, IL
- Chief Resident Rush Presbyterian- St. Luke’s Medical Center 1988-1989 Chicago, IL
- Research Fellow Orthopaedic Oncology Blodgett Memorial Medical Center 1987-1988 Grand Rapids, MI
- Intern-Transition/General Program
He and his team focus on fractures of broken bones, problems with growth and development in the shoulder, arms, elbow, hands, hips, knees, feet, and concerns about function in these areas. To learn more about Dr. Hrasky and Cactus Pediatric Orthopedics, click here.
FAQs You Should Ask Your Orthopedic Doctor
Never hesitate to ask questions. A top orthopedic doctor in Scottsdale, AZ will provide you with information to help you prepare for surgery, however, it’s important you have all your questions answered. Some of the most common questions asked by patients to their orthopedic doctor are:
- Do I have an injury or is it overuse?
- What are the expectations for recovery?
- Why are you choosing this method for treatment? Are there alternatives?
- What can I expect for pain management?
- What are my options for support post-surgery?
- Will this procedure solve the problem or will I need future procedures?
- What will happen if I don’t have the surgery now?
- What is the success rate for this procedure?
- What are the benefits of this procedure and how long with those last?